Friday, March 21, 2014

First Day of Spring

Today, the first official day of spring, is a very beautiful day here at the little red bungalow. It's spring-like in many respects: blue sky; bright sun; high, white clouds floating by; daffodils boldly sticking their heads above ground trying to keep up with the crocus – which they can't. The tulip bulbs are being the least courageous as they send their curled, variegated foliage into the sun, trailing all the others. Soon, bulb flowers around the world will be showing up en masse, by the 10s of millions. The snow mountains of yesterday are now only inches high and a dim memory.

I’m chilly here on the porch. Sitting in the sun would be warmer but I couldn’t read my screen which is not very helpful. The wind’s blowing steadily so I have on my hoodie, Sophie’s wearing her jacket, and the wind chimes have gone from Zen-like to a clanging cymbal. There are crows cackling in a distant tree, some brave birds visit the feeder even though we’re here. I saw my first black-capped chickadee since early winter.

Spring comes in many ways: sunshine; warm temperatures; air that caresses us. Spring arrives more slowly measured by the temperature of the soil. My neighbor was out today planting white and sweet potatoes and some other early plants. One benefit of gardening here are our raised beds. They drain water more quickly than flat beds and they warm up sooner.

I’ve heard a number of people who figure today as the end of winter. I’m not sure it works that way. Indeed, the weather people have already worked out that some kind of winter storm will be here next Wednesday. So much for first day of spring.


 I’m not sure things in life work that way, that winter was here until yesterday and spring is here today. I think we humans like the idea of things being predictable and on schedule. As kids weren’t we all impatient for the day on which we would be grown up? In high school didn’t we want to get away from home and wouldn’t that be a time of total independence? The next raise will take us to the place of comfort we seek. The new job will be the job where we’re happy and satisfied.

In winter don’t we wait for spring, in spring for summer, in summer for autumn and in autumn for winter – at least the skiers among us and people like me.

Wanting to be in the future and not in the now. I know it well.

I wait for some side work to have a little financial buffer. I wait for a partner because I don’t always like being on my own. I want to be more spiritually advanced because I don’t think I’m in the right spot. I’m waiting for something or someone to take away the difficulties of living in bi-polar disorder.

Wanting to be in the future and not in the now. I know it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment