I've come across a few surprising things from my reading for Scripture Weekend that just delight me.
First, I've always known about the Sacrifice of Isaac. Other traditions know it as the Binding of Isaac because that's what happened.
The name of my deity is a verb: I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE. A future tense verb. No static god from long ago here! When Moses meets YHWH in the burning bush, God's name says that God is not finished yet, not done. Millennia later God is still not finished--with Himself or with us.
The name of my deity is a verb: I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE. A future tense verb. No static god from long ago here! When Moses meets YHWH in the burning bush, God's name says that God is not finished yet, not done. Millennia later God is still not finished--with Himself or with us.
When I got to the Psalms I knew I wanted to know them better so I included Robert Alter's THE BOOK OF PSALMS. Alter adopted a distinctive pattern of capitalization. God's name and all His pronouns have Leading Capital Letters. I love it and have adopted it because it reminds me twice--when I write and when I read--that it is about God.
Back to my reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment